Wednesday, August 1, 2012

All the Pretty Horses


The love of horses is a family tradition--that through documentation-- we can at least trace back to my great-great-great grandfather, Charles Earl. Grandpa Charles was born July 4, 1819, in Howland Township, Trumbull County, Ohio, the son of John and Mary Earl. The "Biographical Memoirs of Wells County Indiana” states “Charles Earl was the fourteenth child of the family and was reared on his father's farm in Ohio. As a boy he showed a fondness for horses and has owned some fine animals in his day...” We can deduce from this statement that his father also had a love of horses. As did all those who followed down through the generations. Of this I know, first hand.


Edward H Buskirk,  Pleasant Township, Allen,Indiana




While in my childhood, my father and his family bought a beautiful, 1200-acre ranch in Myton, Utah.  This purchase began an incredible adventure for me that lasted several years. And it was during these years that I had the opportunity to experience my very first horse. Duchess and I would sometimes ride out during the early hours of the morning and explore until late afternoon. We rode through trees, meadows, and alfalfa fields. At times we followed the twists and turns of the Duchesne River, which ran through the property. Carefree days they were, and I remember them with fondness...

My love of horses creeps into my novels as well. You’ll find them mentioned in “Spirit of the Rebellion,” and in “Spirit of the Revolution.”

For those who have asked about the song Timothy’s mother used to sing, in "Spirit of the Rebellion," I chose it not only for its beauty, but also for the mention of horses. The song is called both “All the pretty horses” and “Hush-a-bye.” The lyrics are as follows:




Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby.
When you wake, you shall have,
All the pretty little ponies.
Blacks and bays, dapples and greys,
Go to sleepy you little baby,
Hush-a-bye, don't you cry,
Go to sleepy little baby.
Daddy’s boy mamas joy
go to slumber land my baby
When you wake, you shall have,
All the pretty little ponies.
hush your cry’s
close your eyes
dream of pretty little ponies
hush a bye don’t you cry go to sleep my little baby
darkness falls and man calls
go to sleep my little baby
When you wake, you shall have,
All the pretty little ponies.
up and down round and round
dream of pretty little horses
hush a bye don’t you cry go to sleep my little baby
go to sleep my little baby.

Do you want to hear what it sounds like?



“Spirit of the Revolution” gets a little more personal. In this novel, you'll get to meet Lacy. She was still running wild and free all the while I wrote the book, but while awaiting publication (and we're still waiting for an official release date) Lacy made her way to heavenly pastures and we miss her...



The love of horses?  I hope it's a family tradition that will continue. And if the newest generation is any indication, I think it will...

1 comment: