Sunday, July 8, 2012

Interview with Author T.Michelle Nelson...

I am pleased to share a bit of blog space with the talented Novelist,  T.Michelle Nelson. She has consented to answer a few questions concerning her upcoming novel.



So tell us, how did you come up with the title for Life and Death of Lily Drake? 


The title was actually one of the toughest things for me.  I had at least five really bad ones first… really cheesy.


Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 


There are several messages. I didn’t set out to write anything with some deep meaning, but I hope the reader takes a few things away from my book.  First of which is, a woman can do anything she sets her mind to do, and second, families come in all shapes and sizes and that’s what is most important in life.

How much of the book is realistic? 


Actually, there is quite a bit of the book that was loosely based on my life, friends lives and experiences.  Of course, the book is complete fiction, but I do know what it’s like to be a single mom to an awesome son… who incidentally also plays drums.

What books have most influenced your life? 


Edith Wharton was always my favorite author.  I have read all of her work.  She was absolutely amazing.  As far as influenced my life though, I’d say Margaret Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind and Sun Tzu The Art of War.  Both of which make me aspire to be a woman that shouldn’t be trifled with!  Ha.

What are your current projects? 


Lily Drake is once again consuming my life.  She just won’t seem to stay out of my head.  I’m currently working on the second installment.


What is your favorite type of food? 


I’ve been a vegetarian for almost 26 years, so no meat, but I love Indian and Mexican food. The spicier the better!

Who is your favorite book boyfriend? 


Easy, Rhett Butler.  *swoon*

Do you have a song that you'd consider the theme for your novel?  


Great and unusual question!  Hmm…  Maybe Annie Lennox’s “Little Bird.”  During the course of the novel, Lily becomes empowered and starts making some big decisions and doing things on her own.  I think that song might be a good fit.


Thank you so much for stopping by. I found your visit such a pleasure!

Thank you so much for having me on your blog!  Stop by www.tmichellenelson.com anytime, and I look forward to your guest blog there on Friday, July 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment